Is one of the centers of greatest tourist attraction.
Villapiana is one of the countries of the Alto Jonio Cosentino which best represents the geoclimatic characteristics of the territory.
Kissed by the clear waters of the Ionian Sea and protected from the slopes of the Pollino Massif, Villapiana has the potential to enjoy 360 ° tourism, enjoying many attractive attractions for every type of visitor.
The “Lido” or “114” hamlet develops along the seacoast offering about 9 kilometers of beach. This is characterized by the presence of fine sand, even near the shore, and shallow depths.
On the waterfront promenade, recently refurbished, you can enjoy relaxing days in one of the many bathing establishments present. The seaside tourism has enabled the infrastructure development of the Lido hamlet. Recently many tourist villages and residential complexes have been built to accommodate and meet the needs of many tourists who choose Villapiana each year as a destination for their holidays.
All this has increased the construction sector, which has become an important economic and growth sector for the city.
The tourism-based economy has allowed infrastructure investment and tertiary services, making Villapiana a welcoming and modern country.
In addition to the sea, a natural element around which the city’s economic life is centered, you can immerse yourself in the architectural beauty of the historic center, where the numerous gentilized palaces stand out, following the succession of feudal domination, churches, monuments and many Places of worship. Among the most important historical and cultural points of interest, stands the Convent of Sant’Antonio. Building built in 1590 by the Cappuccini brothers. Located outside the town center, the monastery still has its original structure, and the arched entrance portal features the noble coat of arms of the Pignatelli family, the last Villapiana feudalists.
To confirm the important religious presence in this place, we find the Convent dedicated to St. Francis of Paola, which rises in the Monks’ Garden to the south of the country.
In the Chronicon of the Order of St. Francis of Paola it is read that the foundation of the Convent was of 1581 and was accepted by Fr. Domenico da Paola in 1586.
Historically this was the Second Convent of the Mines of the Dioceses of “Cassano allo Ionio”, a sacred place where monks and faithful could gather in prayer and carry on the life and works of Frate Francesco (Paola) linked to the history of the Convent. The history of Villapiana blends with the historical events linked to Magna Grecia. Its name was Leutermia, which was until the ninth century when it was razed to the ground by Saracen invasions.
Around the 850s, with the Longobards crisis, the Arabs returned to Calabria and destroyed many cities including Leutermia.
After the reconstruction took the name Casalnuovo. Subsequently it was under the domination of Benedict’s Duchy, the Longobards and Byzantines, until the arrival of the Normans, when the strictly feudal period began. The remains of the castle are witnessed, and there are dwellings of gentlemen who have followed the rule of the country.